THE MILL AND THE MINE
The Industrial history and modern development of Squamish was largely build around forestry and mining, and we have used this as an inspiration to develop our building design concept of “Mill & Mine”.
The high water table in Squamish makes it unfeasible to construct underground parking structures. This has provided us with an opportunity to think of the building differently and to relate the building design to our initial inspiration.
The above-grade parking provides us with an opportunity to create a defined base for the building and emphasize the wood-frame residential levels floating above. By articulating these two volumes it also helps reduce the overall bulk of the building. Conceptually, we are proposing a “Mill” as a starting point for the residential levels and a “Mine” for the ground and second levels.
The “Mill” is characterized by its simple form, sloped roof, clerestory windows, and wood-frame construction. The simple form of the “Mill” will reduce the ratio of envelope to heated volume, and ensure that we are able to meet our energy targets. The “Mine” is expressed as a heavier, concrete form that defines the residential entry and grounds the building.
Thematic elements will weave through the interiors and exteriors, creating a contemporary interpretation of industrial design, including concrete floors, factory light fixtures, and vintage industrial factory components repurposed as furniture. Exterior elements may include a large 6’ saw blade or log slab embedded into the entry wall. Archival photos with accompanying stories will be mounted throughout to tell the story of Squamish past — all invoking a sense of history, and spurring curiosity and query from residents today.
At Ashlu, there is a distinct emphasis on quality and livability — including professional management, pet-friendly homes, and an element of sustainability. The result is warm and modern, inside and out. The interior design is not what one would expect in a purpose-built rental building – with high-quality details and elevated style throughout.
- In-suite Smart Care washer and dryer
- Luxury, resilient vinyl flooring
- Roller blinds throughout
- Private patio or balcony with every home
- Heat Recovery Ventilator (HRV) system inspired by Passive House design for continuous fresh-air circulation and reduction of allergens
- USB smart charging plugs
- Modern kitchens with full stainless steel Samsung appliance package:
- 30” refrigerator with bottom freezer
- 24”-30” electric range
- 24“ Energy Star certified dishwasher
- Caesarstone countertops
- Matte-black hardware
- Professionally managed with dedicated staff
- Two-storey amenity room with a spacious lounge area, a well-equipped communal kitchen and dining area
- Co-working lounges, equipped with power and smart charging outlets
- Large rooftop terrace and a communal BBQ area, with expansive views of the city and the Chief mountain
- Rooftop solar panels, to offset carbon emissions and help with energy efficiency
- Large 6’x6’ storage rooms connected to homes in hallways, available for rent
- Secure bike storage and a bike repair station
- Smart and secure parcel delivery lockers with text notifications and 24/7 support
- Private and secure two-storey parking
- Pet-friendly living
Being close to the natural world, sustainability is important – solar panels are used to offset carbon emissions and contribute to the energy-efficient building, and an HRV system ensures fresh air throughout all living spaces.
By clicking Submit, you consent to Eighth Avenue Development Group and their current/future affiliates contacting you through email, phone, text messages or other promotional messaging about their current or future products and services. Information collected is not shared with any third party. This is not an offering for sale. Any such offering can only be made by way of disclosure statement. E.&O.E.